Position Title: Lab Manager, Histotechnologist
Organization: Digestive Health Specialists, P.A.
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Digestive Health Specialists, P.A., a leading gastroenterology group based in Winston Salem, is currently recruiting for a Labatory Manager/ Histotechnologist to join our team. We are a well-established and growing practice; founded originally in 1979 and have grown to serve our patients now in 5 locations. Patients choose our practice for our experienced providers and staff who provide friendly, compassionate, high-quality and affordable care. Comprehensive benefit package that includes 401k profit sharing plan, company paid life insurance and long term disability, CME reimbursement, PTO and paid holidays.
The Laboratory Manager/Histotechnologist manages the day to day operations of the laboratory. The manager insures specimens are accessioned and processed in a timely fashion. They will notify the management of DHS if there are staffing shortages, equipment malfunction, facility problems, etc. that require assistance from the rest of the organization. Under the supervision of a pathologist processes surgical pathology or cytology specimens submitted for pathologic examination and prepares stained microscopic slides for diagnostic review. The HT also performs all periodic quality functions required to ensure histology equipment is preforming adequately.
Primary Performance Responsibilities:
- Behaves in a manner consistent with ethical and professional standards of the American Medical Association and DHS. Includes individual accountability, acting with honesty and respect towards one¿s colleagues, coworkers and clients and showing a strong sense of teamwork
- Serves as the quality officer for the histology laboratory
- Responsible for performances of and review of daily quality control Maintains and manages inventory
- Prepares monthly and annual quality reports Oversees and conducts routine maintenance of equipment
- Troubleshoots equipment and specimen quality problems
- Develops budget for laboratory Performs and oversees the following laboratory operations: Gross specimen processing
- Processing, embdedding, sectioning, staining and coverslipping microscopic slides
- Performance of special stains
- Specimen accessioning
- Ensures appropriate information is submitted to the billing personnel
- Meets regularly with the Medical Director, CEO and or Executive Committee and keeps them informed of any quality issues which may impact on patient care
- Handles surgical pathology specimens from the point they are submitted by the pathologist or GA in fixative labeled cassettes to the presentation of stained labeled slides to the pathologist
- Oversees the functioning, QC and maintenance of the tissue processor, embedding station, microtome, automatic stainer and manual stain areas, coverslipper, slide and cassette labeler
- Manages disposal of biohazardous and chemical waste from the laboratory
- Maintains laboratory inventory and equipment of supplies
- Participates in laboratory budget planning and monitoring
- Serves as quality officer for the laboratory
- Consults with pathologist if uncertain about a particular case or wishes to demonstrate unusual findings
- Monitors slide and stain quality through daily QA sheets completed by the pathologist
- Participates in proficiency testing programs
- The HT must satisfy the requirements of high complexity testing personnel under CLIA 88 regulations.
- The HT must be tested for visual color discrimination on initial employment or provide evidence of prior testing
- Must be tested for competency before starting grossing of patient specimens and must be evaluated at least annually for continuing proficiency
- Possesses and maintains required license/certification
- Previous experience in a moderately complex laboratory setting for a least 5 years is also preferred
- Must satisfy the requirements of moderately complex testing personnel under CLIA 88 regulations.
- Strong organizations skills and attention to detail
- Associates degree or higher required
- Maintains required CME Dexterity and ability to work with hands and operate tools and equipment
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
Commensurate with Education and Experience. Comprehensive benefit package that includes 401k profit sharing plan, company paid life insurance and long term disability, CME reimbursement, PTO and paid holidays.
Please respond to: